In the first seven months of 2015, 39% more reservations than in the same period last year were made on www.bedandbreakfast.eu. In the last six months, the number of rooms and apartments on the website increased with 18%. To learn more about B&Bs and their guests, in 2014 Bedandbreakfast.eu held a market research among 3,704 B&B owners, together with Stenden University. The main results:
- The room rate of European B&Bs amounts to an average € 76.46 including breakfast.
- The average annual turnover of European B&Bs is € 16,700.
- On average, European B&Bs have 5.2 guest rooms and 7.6 beds.
- 40% of European B&Bs started after 2011.
- Bed & breakfasts are mostly visited by couples without children, for 41% of B&Bs they form the main guest group.
- A quarter of the guests stay in a B&B for business purposes.
The popularity of bed & breakfast can partly be explained by the favourable value for money. “B&Bs are cheaper than hotels, but offer the same comfort. Besides, a clear trend is that tourists are choosing a more social way of traveling. They want to spend the night at locals and truly get to know an area. A B&B offers the personal experience they are seeking”, says Hanny Arens, founder of Bedandbreakfast.eu.
The research results are elaborated in the report ‘Bed & Breakfast in Europe – Occupation, turnover and other key figures’, see www.bedandbreakfast.eu/survey_orderinfo.